Tuesday, December 20, 2011

How to cook rabbit

As I think I've previously mentioned, rabbit is delicious.  The only trouble I've found with eating rabbit is the part that comes first - not the cooking, which I can teach you to do here.  It's the killing.  Evidently in NYC, there are seminars for people who want to learn, but NYC is an awfully long way to travel to do something for which I have no interest (or stomach). 

So if you're squeamish as I am, find yourself a hardy partner to do the butchering.  If that partner happens to be running late for work, maybe you can convince a family member to do a little extra rinsing - no one likes a hairy rabbit stew, I mean.  (No one warns you about hairy rabbit ribs when they tell you to raise your own. They don't tell you that your chickens will lay their eggs in poop, either.  Both of these occasions bring out the sissy in me.)

Your rabbit pieces will be delicious and tender if you kill the rabbit 24 hours ahead and let the meat rest in the fridge. (And by "you," I mean you.)  The day of your Fête du Lapin, marinate the meat in white wine, white balsamic vinegar, oil, herbes de provence, rosemary, onion and garlic.

Around dinner time, sear the pieces on all sides in a pan with olive oil.  (Our bunny was super-sized - we had ample supper for four and three big pieces we didn't even cook.)  When the meat is lightly browned, add garlic, onion, and a few big scoops of the marinade.  Sprinkle in more rosemary, and let it cook with a lid on.  Let the marinade almost cook off, and add more white wine and stir.  Near the end, add a cup of broth.  You can test the rabbit for done-ness by cutting open the larger pieces.  When it's cooked, remove the meat from the pan, but don't remove the pan from the stove.  Add about 1 tsp of flour at a time, whisking, until you have a beautiful sauce.  Serve with crusty bread and roasted asparagus.


Best enjoyed with quality wine and company.

5 comments:

  1. Glad we got to be your company! (And you're welcome for rinsing the hairy rabbit meat). Kiss kiss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just bought my 1st ever rabbit at the farmer's market and will experiment with you recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried your recipe tonight for my first time cooking rabbit (I've had it in restaurants but never cooked one myself). It was delicious! I served it with garlic mashed potatoes and green beans, which worked very well. Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. any chance you could clarify the amount of each of the ingredients? Just got a rabbit yesterday and am attempting your recipe now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried this tonight. Awesome! I felt like I needed to "plate" it with fancy drizzles instead of just plopping it on the plate.

    ReplyDelete

Farmers love back talk. Tell me more...