Thursday, May 17, 2012

Going back to the source

my mom & her chard
which I grew in my yard
My mother was out of town on Sunday, so we celebrated Mother's Day when she got back on Monday night.  I probably don't need to tell you how awesome my mom is (since she constitutes 78% of my readership, with most of the rest made up of the man who married her and her other daughter), but I will anyway.

Her name is Nanci and she's an amazing cook. She did a great job of passing her culinary interests on to my sister and I.  Living in Cameroon, we didn't have a lot of the convenience foods that are available in the U.S.  My mom (and our househelp, Cornelia - my other Mom) had to make things from scratch.  I wouldn't be the aspiring urban homesteader I am today if it weren't for watching them and acquiring from them a taste for real, homemade food.

She's not just a great cook.  She's also a teacher, a student (working on her second Master's), a writer, a knitter, a cancer survivor, and an amazing woman who shares her strength with the people around her. I am so, so glad she's my Mama.

1 comment:

  1. I happen to know that your mama is crying right now, having read your lovely tribute. (The chard was nice, too, done with chickpeas and lots of spices.)

    ReplyDelete

Farmers love back talk. Tell me more...