Tuesday, March 6, 2012

looking for nestlings

In Charlotte this time of year, any given day could be seventy degrees or thirty-five.  We've risked planting some lettuce unprotected outside, and so far it's growing nicely.  We've lost some of the baby tomatoes in the greenhouse, though - seems it just got too cold.

Flowers are coming up, though - daffodils and forsythia.  The blossoms remind me how much I love our neighborhood.  It was this time of year that we first met our house.  The air was chilly, but there was a sense of movement - warmer weather coming and new growth.  We moved in at the end of April 2010, and by then the whole neighborhood was blooming.


Abe and I took advantage of a warmer day last week to wander outside.  I thought I spied baby birds!  I convinced Abe to put me on his shoulders, but even then I couldn't get quite high enough to see inside the nest.  I raised my digital camera over my head, resulting in ridiculous pictures of the neighbor's house and the ultimate discovery that the nest was empty.  The flowers are lovely, though, and the birds will come.  Spring is definitely coming!  We started some squash seeds last week, and they're already enormous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Farmers love back talk. Tell me more...