Saturday, January 21, 2012

How to cook rabbit better


My rabbit's been put to shame, y'all.  Also shameful: these awful pictures.  Abe and I splurged to install french doors in our dining room as our mutual Christmas gift, and Santa forgot to bring me the digital camera of my dreams this year.  I also forgot to know anything about photography.  So close your eyes if you have to, Ben Depp.

This rabbit was slow-braised with onion, garlic, carrots, mushrooms, fresh thyme, and of course lots of red wine by my friend Aubrey.  And when I say "slow-braised," I mean put it in the oven, wait til you're starved, wait til the hunger passes, and wait some more. (Or serve hors d'oeuvres. Thanks, Aubrey!) It will be very, very worth the wait.  Justin (my coworker at HMG & Aubrey's boyfriend) was responsible for the amazing roasted garlic of which I ate an entire glove like a greedy and starving person.

We feasted, and then had grown-up hot chocolate for dessert.  Meals like this are why we raise our own food.

3 comments:

  1. Yum, yum and yum some more. The Splendid Table was about slow roasting today and they said the same thing: the longer you cook it, the better it tastes. (So when do I get my yummy bunny?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting! Don't THINK I've had rabbit. Maybe I have and don't remember . . . Just remembered to look in on your blog. Met your hubs at the Sleepy Poet and we talked about your blog and mine. I'm at Scratch Were It Itches (www.wereititches.blogspot.com) which I explained to your him and I hope he remembers :)) - Debbie O.

    ReplyDelete

Farmers love back talk. Tell me more...